Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Loss of Autonomy

Rant time....

Yay for capitalism and free enterprise. Well, that is, as long as it is producing some benefit for you. But what about those times when you have to go with a particular company or pretty much do without?

Case in point - living in the boonies. Based on our research there is one - yes a whopping ONE DSL service which provides in my area. Said DSL service was supposedly down over AT LEAST TWO STATES last night.

Never mind the fact that we get intermittent service in the first place. If it rains, there goes our internet connection. Plus, the speed is sometimes marginally better than dial up. I don't think we are close to the hub, but really, if my speed is THIS slow, should you even be claiming you offer it in my area?

Yes, I suppose I could go with satellite broadband, but I can't afford it.

I teach customer retention and customer service. This company and its representatives don't act in the ways I try to get the trainees who come through my class to act. They don't have my loyalty in the slightest, and if cable internet ever becomes available in my area, this company will be losing both my internet service AND my phone service.

End rant.

2 comments:

Maven said...

What about cable? Do you get cable t.v. in your area? Sometimes the cable companies offer internet, phone and cable service as a package. We have that and it's fabulous. I think we save roughly $300 annually by doing this.

Paula said...

I wouldn't bundle, but I did check the cable internet. I live in a very rural area. The cable company that provides in this area doesn't provide internet. And satellite internet isn't something I can afford. Oh well.